Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Next New


What’s a new form of media that hasn’t been discovered yet? I find that question nearly impossible to answer, when the media that exists now hasn’t reached its full potential, is relatively new and still evolving.  If I could think of a form that is actually viable, I wouldn’t be writing this blog.

 All I can offer is my opinion and a prediction of where I see new media headed.  When I think about the future of media, I immediately think of augmented reality (AR) and I believe it will become accessible and an integral part of people’s daily lives in less than 5 years—in far more ways than a Pokémon video game.   There is a reason why social media companies are acquiring AR companies recently.  This new technology is the wave of the future. 

Specifically, I see augmented reality being incorporated into education and retail shopping experiences (I work in retail so this peaks my interest).  Although some may argue that it already exists in both (apps are becoming available too), it is not widely used or even recognized as the standard.   Once it becomes normal to everyone (becoming a part of social media first, will get things swinging), it will help engage students in the learning process and enhance consumer's shopping experiences(which could help retail companies losses, as buying shifts from physical stores to online shopping).    

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with this. Augmented reality seems prime for a future in heavy development and utilization. It appears so heavily in science-fiction and futuristic depictions, it seems almost natural that technological development would focus on making it a reality, if for no other reason that sentimentality. I think it's also interesting to consider what augmented reality might also mean for the subsequent development of social media apps--another media that continues to see prolific development.

    ReplyDelete